Preloader Close

A refugee is an individual who has fled their country and is unable to return due to the fear of being persecuted because of their race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion. Refugees are forced to flee from their country. Asylum is someone who claims to be a refugee but whose claim is not yet been definitively evaluated.

Under the Resettlement Assistance Program, the Government of Canada or Province of Quebec helps the government-assisted refugees with income support and help them to settle in Canada. Income support will be given for one year or until when the refugees can start to support themselves, whichever comes first. Other services that the Resettlement Assistance Program provides are:

Welcome the refugees/asylum at the airport or other port of entry

A temporary or permanent place to live

Assess their needs

Provide information needed

Referrals to other federal, provincial programs and settlement services.

Private sponsors must provide financial support, housing, clothing, and food to refugees for the length of sponsorship period or until the refugee can support themselves, whichever is earlier. The resettlement programs help refugees with services such as:

Helps in settlement needs and link them to services in their community

Helps them understand life in Canada and make informed decisions

Get them trained in languages – English and French

Search and find jobs

Build community networks

Access support services with help with childcare, transportation, find translation and interpretation series, finding resources for people with disabilities and accessing short term counseling.

Application procedure

The application can be submitted at an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) office. Complete the application form. Take the refugees to the IRCC office that accepts refugee claims. The immigration officers will verify the application form and give an acknowledgment of the claim letter, give instructions to complete the immigration medical examination and schedule the interview. After the interview, the refugee protection claimant document will be given. The confirmation of the referral letter will also be given.

Application for refugee status at any port of entry – airport, seaport or land border can also be submitted. The application package will be given when the refugee arrives at the entry. If the officer confirms that the refugee claim is eligible, then the officer will give a Confirmation of Referral letter and a Basis of the Claim form. The Confirmation of Referral letter confirms that the refugee’s claim to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB). The refugee will have 15 days to complete the Basis of the Claim form and submit it to the Refugee Protection Division office shown on the referral letter.

If they are eligible to make a refugee claim, the IRB will send a Notice to Appear for a hearing. The Notice will explain where to go for the hearing and related information. After the hearing, the IRB will approve or refuse the refugee claim. If the IRB accepts the claim, the individual gets the protected person status which means he can stay in Canada and apply to become a PR of Canada. A request can be submitted for Work Permit application while waiting for a decision.

How we can help you?

Our in-house Canadian Immigration Consultants will help you clear any query you have regarding Refugee and Asylum

Our Consultant will guide you throughout the application process and help you with the end to end process such as explaining and preparing immigration documents checklist, helps you with forms, documentation and filing application forms, completing application procedures.

Our dedicated consultants will monitor and keep you posted on the latest status for your application.

We will be your authorized representatives at IRCC representing you throughout the case lifecycle. You can shift your focus on your travel preparation while we progress your case to the subsequent stages.

Free Online Assessment

    Answer this question?